Pull out your scarves! As the fall season comes to a close, wizarding meteorologists predict that the snow will soon be falling in flurries at Hogwarts. While the last of the warm breezes fade to chilly breaths of air, you’ll want to be outdoors enjoying the remaining fair weather while you can! As with most winters, it’s highly likely that you will end up spending your days indoors huddled next to a fireplace as soon as things cool off, so enjoy the natural warmth while you can still get it.
This year, Hogwarts officials say there will be quite a few winter-themed festivities! While not much else has been revealed, we can expect lots of hot chocolate, and definitely a snowball fight or two at the least. Whether you’re planning on curling up in a cozy armchair or lobbing snowballs at the jerks in your life or even getting up to some magical wintery mischief, you’ll definitely want to set some time aside for these events. After all, if you miss them, you’ll have to wait an entire year for the next ones!
However, if you prefer to be a Scrooge, shut everyone out, and go it alone in the winter, there are still plenty of things you can do! An incomplete list:
- Read a book whilst curled up in a cozy armchair next to a fireplace! To really transport your imagination, go with something out of the fiction genre, especially science fiction or fantasy.
- Knit yourself a nice scarf in your House colors (#HousePride)! Or a hat. Or a pair of mittens. Or socks. Or, if you’re feeling really adventurous, a sweater! Actually, it doesn’t matter what you knit, as long as it’s something warm and wintery!
- Bake some muffins. You can never go wrong with them, until you eat them all and get a stomachache—but it’s completely worth it for those delicious muffins! Don’t just bake one kind. Pumpkin, blueberry, chocolate chip, peanut butter, you name it! Variety is key.
- Cut out some paper snowflakes! Get crafty. Get creative. Get a pair of scissors and go!
- In the meadow, you can build a snowman to accompany you for all of your lonely days! …Until he melts, that is.
- Raid the candy store for mints, candy canes, and generally a ton of chocolate! If you don’t want friends, you’ll at least want chocolate.
We also have a list of the top 5 handy spells to get you through the winter! You won’t find the classic ‘Incendio’ on this list; what, did you think we were boring?
- Bluebell Flames. This is a nifty spell, useful for carrying warmth around with you in a jar (literally)! With this charm, you can summon warm blue flames that will not burn your skin and can safely be put into small containers like jars to be carried around. However, the spell will burn clothing and plants, so be careful!
- Flame-Freezing Charm. You could also take warming up to the next level and cast the Flame-Freezing Charm to crawl into your fire! You might feel a bit tingly, but it’s sure to warm you up faster.
- Extinguishing Spell. This spell is just in case you get a little too frantic with your fantastical fire-summoning frenzies. You see, the Extinguishing Spell will help you easily put out any excess or extreme fires you’ve made in your excitement! Quite useful for avoiding the arduous path of accidentally becoming an arsonist, if you ask me.
- Ventus. This spell, derived from the Latin word meaning “wind”, summons a blast of spiraling wind from the tip of your wand. While it can be used to attack opponents, the more practical winter use for it would be to clear snow out of your path or even roll the stack of logs you’ve been saving to use as firewood! While you could use Evanesco, the Vanishing Charm, to clear your snow, it’s far more fun to do it in a windy way, eh?
- Ferula. If ever you go ice skating, especially alone, you’ll want to remember this spell in case you fall down and break your leg! Ferula will summon bandages and a nice splint to patch up your leg—or arm, or whatever you’ve broken—in no time. Just don’t get it confused with the plant called ferula… while it could technically be used as a bandage, it wouldn’t do you much good otherwise.